Blue Sky Entertainment Events are designed to encourage entertainers to perform downtown during blue skies in an effort to promote the performing arts. Entertainers are asked to pre-register in order to maintain compliance with special-event outdoor entertainment policies. Blue Sky entertainers perform for tips and other benefits outlined below. The intent of the program is to encourage promotion of the performing arts and provide the opportunity for entertainers to promote their bands, business, and profession. Entertainers can include, but are not limited, the following: bands, jugglers, mimes, improv, and single musicians.
1. Blue Sky entertainers are registered through Downtown Kalamazoo, Inc. to ensure that they have received advanced authorization to perform on sidewalks and public common areas.
2. Blue Sky entertainers agree to follow the guidelines as provided in their vendor packets
3. Approved Blue Sky entertainers receive a vendor badge and signage that they use to collect tips during their performance.
4. Blue Sky entertainers are responsible for their own amplification.
5. Blue Sky entertainers will receive credit for their free performances and will be rewarded through:
a. Free or reduced food payment cards at participating restaurants
b. Discounts at participating merchants
c. Consideration for paid entertainment events
When there are blue skies (anything short of bad weather, actually), registered and approved Blue Sky entertainers are encouraged to come downtown and perform. Hours of operation include 10 a.m. until 9 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, and 10 a.m. until 10 p.m. on Friday and Saturdays. Each week, Downtown Kalamazoo, Inc. will email Blue Sky performers to alert them to special events, festivals, or activities that occur downtown that might help provide additional tips during their performances. When ready to perform, entertainers contact the Deb Droppers
at 269.388.2830 to report that they are performing and include the area where they will be performing. A staff member will check on the group to verify that they are performing to log-in the entertainment group. The Blue Sky Entertainment vendor must display their vendor pass and signage while performing.
Blue Sky Entertainment vendors are requested to complete an application form
. This form will be reviewed and considered for approval within 15 days of submission. The application includes providing contact information as well as providing a sample of the entertainment (music, juggling, mime, etc) through a CD, DVD, or website (includes MySpace). Additional information required includes:
· Valid driver’s license or picture identification
· Amplification request to use during performance
· Waiver and release for performances that are classified as extraordinary activities (tumbling, stilt-walking, acrobatics, fire)
· Individuals under the age of 17 must have guardian consent in order to apply
· Individuals under the age of 15 must have a parent present during the actual performance
· Individuals are asked to maintain a valid email account for updates regarding available performance space and event updates.
For More Information
The Blue Sky Events and Entertainment program is funded and administered by Downtown Kalamazoo, Inc. For more information, please contact Deb Droppers